Defence Ministry Communique
1. As a result of the blocking of rank advancement of younger officers, NCO’s, and privates in past years, the army has been systematically shrinking in size. Therefore, in May of this year, Minister of National Defence Antoni Macierewicz decided to abolish previous rank advancement limits in groups of younger officers, NCO’s and privates.
2. As a result of this decision, on August 15th, over 17,000 rank advancements occurred in the Polish Army.
3. On November 11th, there are plans to rank advance approx. 4,000 soldiers, and not “several hundred” as had been reported by one of the radio stations.
4. Between August and November of this year, the soldiers must meet all statutory conditions to meet rank advancement criteria.
5. All this information is being passed on to the media on a regular basis, so please, refrain from misinforming the general public.
Interim Acting Defence Ministry Spokesperson